Friday, January 9, 2009

In For Repairs...

What a difference a day makes.....

On Thursday we had our "second opinion" appointment with the fabulous Dr. O. I love this man that we only met for the first time today. He is a little man with white hair and reminds me of Bilbo Baggins from The Lord of the Rings movies. It makes me smile to think of the resemblance. And he had a good sense of humor. That scored big points from the start! As we waited in the room for him to come in, he poked his head around the corner and introduced himself as Dr. O and said,

"I'm just looking at the family photos and I'll be right in!!!" BWHAHAHAHA!

The "family photos" he referenced was the MRI, CT and PET images that we had brought in with us so he could see the cancer lurking in Tim. How it made us laugh that he was "checking out the family photos"!!! Already we liked him.

Dr. O's diagnosis didn't change from that of the other doctors we've seen but the treatment that he recommended was a bit different. He seemed to think that going to the Markey Cancer Center was a good plan and going with radiation and chemo was still the way to treat the cancer invasion BUT the thing that Dr. O said he would do differently was that he would remove the lymph nodes on the left side of the neck FIRST, then proceed with radiation and chemo. He explained the reasoning and both Tim and I felt at ease with the decision. It felt like the right thing to do. The next question... WHEN?

Dr. O said, "Set it up for Friday then call to see if the surgery center has a room." The scheduler questioned, "A week from tomorrow?" He said, "No. Tomorrow."
So here it is Friday! We will spend the day with Dr. O repairing my knight. :) We feel like this is definitely the right thing to do. It feels that the Lord's hand is in all of this. The timing of tests, the people we know, the doctors we've seen, couldn't have been more perfect. Our hope is renewed and it all feels right. Tim and I both had a blessing last night that gave us added strength. We want the will of the Lord in all of this -- whatever that is. We are slowly learning what putting on the whole armor of God means.
Ephesians 6:10-18
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Stand therefore, having your loins
girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.
I think there are many more lessons to learn..........

4 comments:

Patty said...

Extra prayers coming your way! I am so happy you have found confidence in your doctor. I know that our prayers are usually and often answered through others. I hope that yours will be the best possible outcome and I know that your desire to bend your will to the Father's is what will get you through! Now the waiting!

Marissa said...

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers today as Tim undergoes surgery!

Natalie said...

Praying all went well today for you, Tim, and your family. We love you and cherish your example of faith, and trust in the Lord. Love you!

little ol' me said...

Hi Loretta--Patty has kept me posted on the lastest on Tim's health. I loved reading your blog entry. My thoughts and prayer are with you, your hubby and family. I like Dr. O. Good luck and I just know that you will keep us all posted on the latest.