Sunday, November 23, 2008

Knowing And Doing.....

When I remind my kids to do something usually the first response that I get is, "I know, Mom." I have grown accustom to that reply. Often I feel frustrated when I hear it. My reply back to them has become, "If you KNOW, then DO!"

I can't tell you how many times this phrase has been utter by me but one day it hit me that how much living the gospel of Jesus Christ is just like that statement.

I may KNOW what I need to do but if I only know and don't do anything about what I know, then it is in vain. It is not good enough to only know....I must do.

It's not good enough to KNOW the mortgage payment is due; I have to DO something more than just know or I will get phone calls!

It's not good enough to KNOW that dinner needs to be prepared each night for my family; I have to DO something to prepare the food!

It's not good enough to KNOW that I should do my visiting teaching; I have to actually go DO it!

I think of the Primary song Nephi's Courage.....
"I will go; I will DO
The thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way;
He wants me to obey."

Knowing is only half of the answer...yes, I must know but I also must DO what I KNOW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder, Loretta. We do have to be doers. Kind of like man cannot be saved by grace alone, right?