Monday, March 12, 2018

Minimalist Game Days 1-10

Minimalism seems to be all the rage these days. I am quite smitten with it myself and always looking for things I can pare down to make my life less full of "things". 

Honestly, this isn't a new journey for me. I have been paring down little by little since the summer of 2010. One would think that I should be done by now! Here's the thing....paring down what isn't wanted or needed is an on going process and so here I am nearly 8 years later continuing getting rid of more. Over the course of that time I have seen what I choose to keep differently. It's been inch by inch, step by step. What felt like "enough" paring down no longer feels like enough and I desire to eliminate more. Life moves on, hobbies change, people grow, desires are refined, priorities are clearer, and changes come. 

To make the process a bit more fun I decided that I would play the "Minimalism Game" which is simply beginning at the start of a new month you get rid of items that correspond with the number of the day. So on March 1st I get rid of 1 item, on March 2nd I get rid of 2 items and on it goes to the end of the month when I will have gotten rid of 496 items! No question it will get harder and harder as I go but I am up for the challenge!

Here are my first 10 days:


Day 1: A tire gauge that has been hanging around since Christmas. 
(Who knew there were different sizes of tire gauges....not me.) :(  

 Day 2: Left over Valentine's I gave kids at school

Day 3: Pins we got from the VFW when Annah was receiving her 
"Voice of Democracy" award.

Day 4: A book I have never really used, another leftover 
Valentine, a pencil bag shaped like a sneaker, 
and an insulated cup I got as a gift but don't use. 

Day 5: Two stacks of tulle (orange and purple), a bag of purple faux 
rose petals, a bouquet holder, and a bag of confetti sequinned 
hearts (all wedding supplies that have hung on 
to for nearly 10 years...why???) :/ 

Day 6: More wedding supplies...

Day 7: One last bunch of white wedding flowers, a packet of info from my ENT on hearing aids that I am not ready to do, 2 packets of expired 
brown gravy from the pantry, a cinnamon broom that has 
lost it's scent, a small wooden sign that says Welcome Winter, 
(too small for my liking) and what's left in an expired box of sinus meds. 

Day 8: I guess I could have counted these individually but they were in bunches already.....8 bunches of flowers from wedding decor. 

Day 9: 3 Christmas tins, 4 old magazines that I hung on to thinking I would reference for future Christmas crafting but never looked at again, a partial box of fake snow used for crafting some years back, and a package of Christmas treat bags I thought I would use but haven't.  


 Day 10: A bag of fiber fill, another bag of fake snow, 3 rolls of ribbon never used, a length of wired Christmas ribbon, an empty gift box, a plastic organizer box, a Christmas flower pick, and a glass bottle 
that I thought I wanted to re-purpose but couldn't get the stubborn 
label off of even after soaking for hours. 

So there it is, the first 10 days! I am excited for the next 10 days to see what more I can clear out! :)

No comments: