Saturday, March 31, 2018

Minimalism Game Days 21-31

The last stretch of this game has been a challenge but also proof positive that if I look at our stuff with a critical eye I find many, many things I do not use, want, or need. So much of what I have chosen to keep over the years is more like a habit where I have told myself that because I own it I should keep it. But looking at things with that mindset makes no sense because if it's not used or needed or wanted, WHY keep it? Sometimes my mind plays tricks as I think about a particular item and that it had cost a lot of money or that someday "maybe I'll use it" but the reality is that whatever money I spent on an item is already spent and if I hang on to something for that "someday I might use it" I just accumulate a lot of stuff and a lot of guilt. I feel much better letting it go to be used by someone who may truly value it and put it to good use. 

So, here are days 21 -31.....

Day 21: 9 glass bowls (more wedding decor), 11 rolls of ribbon, and a metal reindeer. (I kept the smaller one from the set. 
This one was just too big for my liking.)

 Day 22: 1 pair of slippers, 3 pairs of flip flops, 1 pair of old sneakers (hanging on to them why??), a pair of shoe inserts I have never worn, 5 games (Trouble, Battleship, Twister, Taboo, and Toss Up), 1 giant container of dominoes (gray box), 1 almost empty bottle of Mod Podge, 1 empty box, 1 bottle of expired over the counter meds, 1 bag of clear stones, 1 bag of LOTS of dice, 3 card holders, and 2 plastic notebook pockets that are ripped.

Day 23: 1 phone book, 1 Dave Ramsey CD, 7 books, 13 magazines (6 of which sold on eBay for $61.01!!) and some pink plastic hearts.
 



Day 24: 24 pieces of our old entertainment center that was too big and bulky. 

Day 25: 7 Books (4 in Spanish), 2 CDs, 1 Air horn, 1 dish scrubber that doesn't work right, 1 bottle of old nail polish, 4 expired meds, 2 eye masks, 1 elbow strap (I had 2), 1 wrist brace, 1 pill container, 
1 hair scrunchie, and 3 blank books.  

Day 26: 4 slings from days gone by, 1 pan that drips rusty water all over when it's washed because of the rolled edge it has, 1 small bag no longer used, 3 supports for wrists and knees, 1 bottle of expired meds, 1 deodorant stick that doesn't smell good, unused small hair clips, 1 medium sized unused hair clip, 1 calligraphy pen tip, 6 old cell phones, 2 cell phone cases, 1 pair of frustrating nail clippers, 1 old eye shadow applicator, 1 old pair of glasses, 1 eye shadow with the colors I liked used up.
 

Day 27:1 Tupperware bowl, 1 juicer, 1 fat separator, 1 old faucet that got replaced, 1 Christmas card that was stick on the bulletin board, a few tacks and magnets, a note pad, 1 pen, 1 straggler flower, 1 mesh, grippy thingy, 1 face powder I don't use, 1 lipstick color I don't like, 1 make up concealer that makes me look orange, 1 picture frame , 2 pairs of socks, 7 pairs of fuzzy socks, 2 bowls, 1 night gown, and a wooden storage container.   

Day 28: 1 container and 27 spools and/or pieces of ribbon
 

Day 29: 20 CDs, 2 orange empty storage boxes, 1 CD that 
has games to play (we kept the family favorite game of Vampire cards that came with it!), and 6 books. 

Day 30: 28 books, magazines, and pamphlets, 1 tote bag, and a folder of old papers. 

Day 31: 31 CDs!


So there it is....496 items gone from our home in the course of a month! It is an awesome feeling to lighten up like we have and it has give us desires to continue even if I don't continue to document with pictures what we let go of.

Tim had some fun with a sequin pillow we have where he would put the number of items we needed to get rid of each day!


Truth be known, I don't really love the sequin pillow. I got it for Abigail for Christmas thinking she would like it but she didn't so it just ended up on our bed by default. It goes with nothing but it is fun to smooth the sequins from green to black and back again and it's been great for the Minimalism Game! I predict that after another round of the Minimalism Game it will get lovingly donated. :) 

1 comment:

Montereymom said...

Cool pillow. I looked close to see if there was anything I had given you in the past, tee hee just kidding. You are amazing, that was a lot of work finding enough things, then taking a picture of the "to go" stuff. Congratulations on your minimal existence. Your humor and imagination is amazing....love ya all.