Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter Makes Me Want To.....


....lick a gingerbread house!

Not really, but the girls did! :) As they bid farewell to the Christmas gingerbread house they gave it a lick(s) goodbye!

But winter does make me want to cheer!

Over the past several weeks winter settled in over Kentucky and I confess, I have loved it. For nearly two weeks temperatures didn't even sneak above freezing until yesterday and then today the last evidence of our minimal snow waved goodbye. I swear I could hear it screeching in its best Wizard of Oz wicked witch voice, "I'm melltting.....!" But I saw no flying monkeys so maybe it was a figment of my imagination.

Although we didn't see much snow (only about 3 inches or so) it was enough to bring school to a screeching halt for two days and happily those two days fell at the end of the week so it gave us a 4-day weekend! That was heaven for me -- snow AND 4 days home! I confess again, I didn't complain...I cheered (and probably louder than the kids)!
I do hope we haven't seen the last of the snow for this winter. There is something so cozy about fuzzy socks, slippers, corn bags, sweaters, a fire in the fireplace, a basket of hats and mittens, hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows, and even snowy boots and clothes strewn on the floor at the back door.
*We are liking the Thumbs Up sign these days! Jordan does that a lot in his pictures he's sent home from Brazil. We like to think it is like sending word that "all is well". If you want to take a peek at his letters and pictures you can go to www.missionsite.net/eldervalenta

2 comments:

Patty said...

Elder Valenta sounds good. The gingerbread house sounds good too! You probably read on FB but in case you didn't, Rhea's son got his call today, Birmingham, England! Jolly good time and cheerio! (English speaking, yet a new language all the same)

Heather (Paralyzed with JOY!) said...

I second all of your sentiments on the snow! We still have a little in our front yard, but not much. I'm always sad when it melts and I always hope that it's not the last we see of snow for an entire year! Multiple snowfalls in the winter season are just fine with me!