Monday, October 6, 2014

Keeper of Words

I am a keeper of words. I love words. I think I have always loved words.

I got my first diary when I was 9. I still have it. It is both embarrassing and funny to read the things I wrote back then!


My first diary


Some of the entries in that first diary show me that in some ways my life is very much the same now as it was back then.

And that I still feel the same way about school...
(it just so happens that next week is our fall break!)

My diary days were not long lived. It wasn't until I was about 14 when I started writing quotes I liked on 3 X 5 cards and keeping them. Then I discovered blank books. 

This is the first book that I filled 

I even put drew in a few pictures :)

Over the years my quote collecting and writing continued and these are just a few of my books (a very few!) 

When Pinterest came along my love of words was spurred on again and I began a board I called "Words". While I do pin the quotes I love on that board, I also found myself wanting to write those same words down in a book again. So, that is what I did. 

My girls think I am a bit crazy to pin them *and* to write them 
and they ask me why. 

My only answer is that I am keeper of words. 
It is what I do and what I love.

Words strung together in an uplifting phrase makes me think on higher things. They remind me that I can do better and be better. 
Some of my favorite words come from the scriptures.

Psalms 119:105
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Psalms 119:57
"Thou art my portion, O Lord: I have said that I would keep thy words."

Oh how I want to be a keeper of words, with all my heart!

Recently I have had the great joy of discovering that my girls are also, quite literally, learning to be keepers of words. 

This is Annah's newly decorated bedroom door






Abigail's newly decorated wall of quotes



It warms my heart that my girls are learning to be keepers of words. I hope  they will always be reminded of the power and the hope that words hold and the joy that comes from being a keeper of the Lord's words.


Job 4:4
"Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees."



1 comment:

joan said...

Oh Loretta, how I admire you, your abilities, your talents and your WORDS. You have always been very good with words and you have lifted my heart more than once with your words. What an example you have been/are to your girls, words are very important, the RIGHT words.